Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Travel, and London, Day 1

What a couple of day. They have been long and tiring, but not without their moments.

Don't have photos up yet, but hopefully tomorrow. Anyway, my flights were fairly easy going, save for the random 40 minute delay that was never explained at all on the first leg to Chicago (most of the time was made up in the air). Also, this was a non-issue as my next flight was also delayed about 45 minutes, but also arrived on time. And on this flight, sitting just three rows in front of me, was one Reverend Jesse Jackson. I saw him in the terminal first, and I managed to sneak a few stealth photos. Sadly I missed the moment when he turned the popcorn bag upside down and opeend up the hatch, only to have quite a bit of it spill all over the front of his shirt, which was subsequently brushed by him onto the floor, but I did get some photos. Watching him eat the popcorn made me think it would have been a great moment for "US Weekly" and the "Stars, they're just like us!" section. "They eat shitty popcorn!"

As we got into London, there was a beautiful sunrise that was quite nice to wake up to (minimal sleep...got sucked into "Blades of Glory" (slightly better than expected) and "Waitress", which was great but I forced myself to stop watching before the end to get some sleep.) Heathrow has to go down as the shittiest airport I've seen yet. It feels like it was built in communist Russia. It's so drab and dreary, the halls go on forever, and there is nothing there. It's brutal. Luckily customs was quick and I was on my way.

Met up with my hosts no problem, and they have been great. After some time here, I went into town and did a brief walking tour, looping from Trafalgar Square, over the Thames, down the south bank past the London Eye, the back across to see the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, 10 Downing St., etc. Figured I would get all the really touristy stuff out of the way in a couple hours. Didnt go in anywhere because that shit is expensive, but the buildings themselves were quite impressive. While I was taking a photo of myslef with Big Be in the background, this Asian woman who spoke no English insisted on taking a picture for me, all while she laughed at my moustache and made moustached gestures with her hands. Priceless. This was followed by a guy walking past me while very audibly letting out a, "What the fuck?" Frankly I'd have to say I got more weird stares and snickers here than back home. Also saw this guy who was gray with a ponytail and a shirt that read, "No one knows I'm a lesbian." Didn't quite know what to make of that one.

The HUGE Pep Rally in Trafalgar Square was hilarious, yet a bit disappointing. It turned out not to be a pep rally for the WBMC, but one just for BTUSA, orgaized by our captain. So it was just a loud group of Americas parading through the square, announcing to anyone that listened that we were there to kick some ass. Bizarre. So the media coverage was sadly not what I expected. Our captain said they will be here on Saturday, too, so he's expecting they might do a wrap story on Monday, so seems that might be when the TiVo's should be set if you are interested. LCase, Corydon, if you are reading this can you record that shit? Thanks.

After the rally, we wet to some bars, had some beers, grabbed some diner, went to another bar for more beer, the I passed out at the bar and decided it was finally time to get some sleep. But as I did, I saw a parade of at least 200+ people all on rollerblades cruising down Strand, while a dude on a tricycle bike blasted "If You Steal My Sunshine." This was about 11pm at night. Totally weird, and very cool. Kind of wish I had brought my rollerblades.

As for the team, I am not the youngest, and there actually is a strong contingent of guys from 22-27, then there seeems to be a jump to the older crowd. We also have a professional photographer and writer following us around. And then there is Jack Passion. He is 23 and a strong contender in the natural full beard category, the most prized category at the Championships. He has this huge, very red beard he has been growing for 4.5 years, and it's rather impressive. He's also a ladies man, but too often he was with a harem of seemingly underage girls. There was a huge group of them at the rally that were quit taken with him. I mentioned how young they looked to which Jack replied, "Age of consent is 16 in England." Right. So I'm sure there will be more Jack Passion stories to come.

Anyway, that's all for now, as I want to get outside and also make sure I catch my bus to Brighton. Next report will be from there, and hopefully I can get some photos up soon.

Hope all is well.

3 comments:

JWP said...

Dude. What you're doing is a once in a lifetime (hopefully) event. I'm loving the updates, and looking for some more Jack Passion stories. Keep em coming (that's what she said). Kick some British ass, and if you don't just remind them of the revolutionary war.

chelsea said...

Justin! Just wanted to let you know I'm fairly sure I have actually encountered Jack Passion before. He's from Santa Cruz, yeah? I believe he was at the Jon Butler Trio show at the Attic that a whole camp contingent was at (Mr. Turnbull, Mr. Fienberg, etc. Maybe even you?). I was there with a friend from Santa Cruz and she wasted no time pointing him out. Maybe when you get back you'll be equally famous. Good luck and godspeed.

Emily said...

um, you should see every other airport in europe. they are so much worse than heathrow that coming to heathrow after one of those really feels like going from the 3rd world to the first. not that i've ever done that. but one of the terminals in heathrow does suck.. i think it's terminal C. it's always insanely crowded with people with really old suitcases flying to places in eastern europe.

and jack passion is probably the best name i've ever heard.